Thursday, October 26, 2006

No Cycling

There seems to be a proliferation of "No Cycling" types of signs in Cork at the moment. Here's a few examples.

This is the new UCC walkway from the North Mall to the Mardyke. And a great walk it is! With beautiful trees along the river and a very nice modern bridge. It's great for walking and cycling and it's very popular.

But then they put up these signs! I don't know if you can read it but it says "Cyclists Dismount on Bridge" ( and in Irish: Rothaithe isligh anuais den rothar ar an droichead).

I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe they're afraid of cyclists somersaulting into the river!?



This is the sign from the other side of the bridge.

If that wasn't bad enough, there's another smaller bridge with the same signs.


The sign says "Cyclists Dismount on Bridge". This bridge is about 3 metres long!

The walkway is used by lots of cyclists and I haven't seen anyone stop and dismount and walk the few paces it takes to cross and remount!

adam

5 Comments:

Blogger Gareth said...

I've never seen any no cycling signs anywhere else.

10:08 AM  
Blogger adam said...

Actually the Lee Fields is also 'No Cycling' but that doesn't stop a lot of cyclists from using it and rightly so. (I don't mean that these signs are everywhere, just that there's a few around.)

adam

10:48 AM  
Blogger John said...

While I do believe cyclists get a hard time (I am one myself) it seems like common sense to me that people should not cycle through the lee fields amenity park. Kids learning to cycle on little bikes I wouldn't mind at all but there's a road right outside this park not to mention a cycle lane. It really bugs me when a cyclist forces me off a footpath. There are footpaths going through the Lee Fields not bridleways.

6:54 AM  
Blogger JohnH said...

By asking us to dismount this implies permisson to cycle to the bridge,so a little give and take here please!Use the head as it were.Of much greater concern is the amount of and number of drinkers who use and litter this area,no signs requesting those lads and lassies to do anything . This isen't the busiest blog or web site around is it,the origional comment was posted almost 3 yrs ago.

5:39 AM  
Blogger corkdave said...

The only place I have ever seen enforcement of "No Cycling" signs is in Fitzgerald Park, and that was yonks ago. I imagine that the signs on the Lee Fields, on the Lee River Walk (by the Mardyke) and on the bridges are not there to be enforced, but are just to make it easier for the Council to defend itself against legal claims for damages following accidents.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home